Speedrack utilizes the same principles of manufacturing excellence to focus on energy and environmental impact.
In 2005, Speedrack commissioned a task force utilizing lean principles to focus on energy and its impact on the environment. As a result, a number of green programs have been implemented:
- Over 70% of the content in Speedrack’s finished products comes from recycled materials. Not only does this help the environment, but it also yields higher quality components.
- Company wide recycling efforts have reduced trash to landfills by over 60%. Ultimately, the goal is is 0% landfill output.
- Significant energy saving programs have been implemented, including:
- Conversion to fluorescent lighting.
- Motion sensors for low volume areas.
- Modification of manufacturing processes to reduce heat requirements and their energy consumption.
- Installation of airflow equipment around heat generating processes to disperse heat in summer months and re-capture it in the winter to reduce heating costs and gas consumption.
- Process chemicals that contain phosphates, a common part of metals manufacturing and painting, have been removed, eliminating phosphates and reducing energy consumption.
- All paint processes have been converted to a powder coat, eliminating waste from overspray and any related chemical discharge.
- Indoor air quality is tested regularly and meets or exceeds OSHA air quality limits.
- Speedrack does not generate any recordable emissions.